Monday, August 9, 2010

Our Engagement Story

I'm still playing a little bit of catch up on the blog thing so I decided my next post should be about how Brady and I got engaged for those who don't know the story.

Brady and I had been dating for about 7 months. We had talked about what we wanted in a marriage, and what we thought a great marriage entailed, and that we thought each other had the qualities necessary, but never really talked about us specifically getting married. I knew I wanted to marry Brady and had told him so but I think he wasn't quite ready to make that decision because of how big that decision is. I had started getting frustrated because I had known I wanted to marry him for awhile and was struggling being patient (nothing new for me) while he figured things out for himself. At the beginning of a week in the middle of March Brady told me not to plan anything for the following Friday because he had a surprise for me. I started thinking about what the surprise could be and figured it must be that he wanted to go to Sundance to go night skiing because he had been wanting me to learn because he loves skiing. Sure enough skiing was the surprise. This was only my second time skiing so I was excited to learn but not excited because i'm completely horrible at skiing. We got on the lift to go up for our first run and as we get to the top I attempt to get off the lift and completely face plant it. Both of my ski's pop off and they had to stop the lift so I could get out of the way. At this point i'm sure we were both thinking it was going to be a really long night. I did improve however as the night went on and Brady advanced me from the entirely sucky category to advanced in the sucky category:) After skiing we drove up to a cabin that belongs to our friends. We walked in and Brady told me to change downstairs while he set some things up upstairs. Brady had tried to surprise me with a campfire dinner over Valentines but it didn't work so I figured he was making up for that. Brady came down and brought me upstairs where I saw the fireplace going and an amazing meal, which he prepared, out on the table. We ate and talked and were having a great time when Brady asked me to put another log on the fire. There was a bag in front of the wood so I moved it and underneath the bag on top of the wood was a small white box. I remember thinking "thats weird maybe they keep matches in it," so I moved it aside and put a log on the fire.(I know...i'm oblivious) Brady looked at me and said "oh what's that" so I turned back and saw the box again and then it hit me! I looked at him and said "are you kidding me" I was in complete shock because we hadn't looked at rings and hadn't talked about a date or even if it was going to happen for sure. He got down on his knee and asked me to marry him. I was so excited and speechless. I of course said yes and didn't want to let him go as we hugged. He had brought the movie The Proposal (very fitting and thought out) so we watched and cuddled by the fire. Everything was perfect and I was completely surprised and thrilled. Brady is so amazing and I can't believe how lucky I am to be married to him!

PS he had asked my dad to marry me a few weeks before when he had gone to help my dad get new turkeys. My dad was great at keeping the secret, he didn't even tell my mom. My dad was the only one of either of our families who knew it was going to happen so it was a lot of fun surprising everyone with the news.




On the ski lift



My amazing skiing skills



The wonderful dinner Brady made for me





Can you tell im excited?





No comments:

Post a Comment